I had an idea while highlighting and copying a tv show name

Tell us your ideas to make TorrentRover better.
Pajamas
10+ Posts
10+ Posts
I had an idea while highlighting and copying a tv show name

Post by Pajamas » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:48 am

It would be really cool if when I highlight a word in a browser or anywhere really and then right click, the context menu would offer an option to search with torrentrover and open the program if it's not running, populate the search field and run the search.

John
Owner
Owner
Sex:Male

Re: I had an idea while highlighting and copying a tv show n

Post by John » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:32 pm

I love the idea. What you're suggesting is probably best created as a browser extension/plugin. I've never built one before, but I'm always willing to try something new. I don't think it'll be anytime soon though. I've got a lot of things on my TorrentRover to do list as it is. In addition to this I'm going to build a way to register a custom protocol to torrentrover so that you'll be at to click on a link (e.g. tr://Money%20Masters) and it'll add a search to TorrentRover. Once that is working, the extension might be easier to write because it just has to add "tr://" before the highlighted words.

If all goes well, I'll be able to add these feature in a couple months.
A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

TorrentRover exists primarily on donations... Please donate!
TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

John
Owner
Owner
Sex:Male

Post by John » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:37 pm

Wow. It can definitely be done, and it doesn't look difficult at all! I just did a quick google search and I found this.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3892 ... col-e-g-so

If it looks like greek, it's no problem. That site is a question and answer site for software developers. But it explains how to create your own URI scheme to have the app open and do something when a link is clicked. Pretty slick stuff.

As for your feature request, it shouldn't be very difficult to create an extension or plugin that takes highlighted text and "clicks" it after adding "tr://" before it. That's all it would take. Maybe I'll bump this feature up, since it doesn't seem to difficult.

Would you prefer a Chrome or FireFox extension? Or both?
A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

TorrentRover exists primarily on donations... Please donate!
TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

Pajamas
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Post by Pajamas » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:13 am

Wow! I'm so glad I was able to come up with a useful feature and even better it's not hard to implement!

I predominantly use chrome.

I have some other ideas but they are mostly for mobile platforms. I'll start a different thread.