How do I switch from uTorrent to BitTorrent

Get help with TorrentRover problems or crashes.
sjh962
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Post by sjh962 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:16 am

SJ
v1.2.7
Windows 10 Enterprise

I recently started having issues downloading files with uTorrent. It won't connect. So I installed BitTorrent to see if that would help, and it did. Unfortunately, I am not able to redirect TorrentRover to BitTorrent. I found the portable uTorrent and changed the name and got the troubleshooting message on how to switch, but when I went into the downloads folder, there was only one torrent in there and it was from long ago. I right clicked and opened it with BitTorrent, checked the box to always use it for torrent files. It opened in BitTorrent and the download started immediately, but when I went back to TorrentRover and tried to open a new download, it went right straight back to the troubleshooting message.

John
Owner
Owner
Sex:Male

Re: How do I switch from uTorrent to BitTorrent

Post by John » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:32 pm

Firstly, uTorrent and BitTorrent are made by the same company, and they're nearly identical in function.

The issue you're experiencing is because all the modern torrent sites now use magnet links instead of torrent files. So even though you set the default torrent client, you still need to set the default magnet link application.

I know this works for uTorrent, and since BitTorrent is almost the same. Open Preferences and click the button that says "Associate with torrent files".

utorrent.png
utorrent.png (22.17KiB)Viewed 25075 times

This should create the necessary magnet link association too, but if it doesn't you'll have to manually associate it yourself in the registry.

magnet regedit.png
magnet regedit.png (46.82KiB)Viewed 25075 times
A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

TorrentRover exists primarily on donations... Please donate!
TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

sjh962
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Post by sjh962 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:00 pm

I did as you suggested in both cases, but still get the same box telling me how to switch to a different torrent.

John
Owner
Owner

Post by John » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:47 pm

Can you verify that both the Magnet and .torrent classes point to the Bittorrent app and not the uTorrent app?

If you want me to fix it for you, we offer a Remote Assistance option on torrentrover.com. Just an option.
A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

sjh962
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Post by sjh962 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:02 am

I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling BitTorrent and that redirected TorrentRover. I don't know why it worked this time when it wouldn't work the first time. Maybe because the portable uTorrent in TorrentRover is no longer available? Anyway, it's working. Thanks for all your help.

sjh962
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Post by sjh962 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:11 am

Okay, here's one for you. After all of this work to get BitTorrent to open instead of uTorrent, now that BitTorrent is connected to TorrentRover, it does the same thing uTorrent was doing. It just says "Connecting to peers 0.0%". Unbelievable.

John
Owner
Owner

Post by John » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:55 am

That has little to do with TorrentRover. That is based on the number of Seeders and Leechers seen by the Trackers on the torrent (or magnet link). By default, TorrentRover sorts the torrent results by Seeders, so if you download the result with the most seeders, you should have the most possible users to connect to. But again, this has more to do with the trackers and users than TorrentRover.

TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

sjh962
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Post by sjh962 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:10 pm

Actually, you are right, but in a weird kind of way. The torrent had 568 seeders, so it shouldn't have had this kind of problem, but after reading your comment, I tried one of the other torrents, one with only 17 seeders, and it worked! Go figure. I wanted to set the record straight because TorrentRover is an amazing application, and I never meant to cast aspersions. Kudos on your creation.

William_Delaughter
New User
New User

Post by William_Delaughter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:42 am

Thanks for the suggest friend its really knowledgeable thread. :)