Private sites ?

Tell us your ideas to make TorrentRover better.
Nokk
New User
New User
Private sites ?

Post by Nokk » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:11 am

Hi , just found your program while browsing and I must say so far I love it , so easy to set up and easy to use , one thing Id like to request , I had a look and it's been asked for but not since last October , is the ability to add a private site to your search list any closer , if it had that I'd say at least for me it would be perfect , thanks for a great app :)

John
Owner
Owner
Sex:Male

Re: Private sites ?

Post by John » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:52 am

Thank you for your request!

We do plan to bring this feature to you. The only reason it's been put off for so long is that so far all the sites have been added by me (John Loper, the author). There doesn't exist (yet) a way for users to add definitions themselves. This is going to change soon. Here's what we're going to do.

1. Support definitions imported from other 3rd party tools. This should add about 20 search sites to TorrentRover, but they won't support all the same details that native TR search site definitions do.
2. Create user tools to allow people to create and submit their own definitions.

We will, at some point, support private sites and trackers, but this will add a new level of complexity because private sites require username/password and url redirection. But don't worry, we'll get it working.

I appreciate your request. Knowing someone else wants this feature makes us push it up our priority list a bit!
A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

TorrentRover exists primarily on donations... Please donate!
TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

Nokk
New User
New User

Post by Nokk » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:30 pm

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply , with the current climate here in Oz , data retention , ISP's prolly having to send out warnings about piracy in the next few months it feels a little more secure to use private sights rather than public , also the fact that the big name sites are changing domains and going down pretty often and fake and malicious content being uploaded it would be a godsend to have this capability , thanks for your efforts :)

John
Owner
Owner

Post by John » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:47 am

I'm not sure how the new law will work, but up here in the United States at least, you have to actually download the torrent content before you're a pirate. I'm not a lawyer, and this is NOT legal advice, but I assume you can't be charged just for downloading a .torrent file. It's downloading the copyrighted content that's illegal.

Having said that, there are a few options.

1. VPN - This will cost you some money, but it is the more secure solution. Do your research (check TorrentFreak.com) and pick the right VPN to protect your privacy.
2. Get PeerBlock. It's not as secure as a VPN, but it definitely seems to be enough for most people, and it's free.

Also, be aware that TorrentRover has a proxy option in Preferences -> Advanced -> Proxy. You may want to look into that if you're worried about your ISP knowing you're looking for torrent files. It's a tiny bit slower, but it's a more private way to use TorrentRover.
A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

Nokk
New User
New User

Post by Nokk » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:47 pm

Under the proposed law yet to be passed mind you , all you will have to do is connect to a swarm , if you're reported by a rights holder to your isp that is all they need , you will get three warnings and after that your isp is obliged to share your details if the rights holder wishes to prosecute , they wont have to identify the person who actually did it , the account owner will be targeted , anyway , I am behind a VPN but I guess just an extra layer of security is always good and speeds are better , have a read fyi , thanks again .

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/02/austr ... downloads/

John
Owner
Owner

Post by John » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:58 am

If you have to connect to a swarm, then downloading the torrent file isn't illegal. Here's how it breaks down:

Step 1 - Download the torrent file. This is what TorrentRover is for.
Step 2 - Download the content of the torrent file. This is what your torrent client (uTorrent) is for.

If you're worried about privacy in Step 1, enable the Proxy feature in TorrentRover (Preferences -> Advanced Tab -> Proxy).
If you're worried about privacy in Step 2, get a VPN service account, or just use PeerBlock. Either one should keep your surfing habits anonymous.

TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube