optimization

Get help with common problems... Where bugs go to die.
Pajamas
10+ Posts
10+ Posts
optimization

Post by Pajamas » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:51 am

Hey John,

I find when I do a search and there are a few hundred pages of results I click to scan another 20 pages but I have to click it multiple times and the whole program bogs down. I don't see that I'm maxing out my system resources so I'm wondering what I can do to give more power to torrent rover to be able to complete the search and handle the volume of results. An nice alternative would be an option to export all pages available of the search results to a csv instead of viewing them in torrent rover, that way I can see everything and the load would be on excel instead.

thanks

Jon

John
Owner
Owner
Sex:Male

Re: optimization

Post by John » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:19 pm

When you have a LOT of torrent results in the same list, especially when the list is updating with each new page retrieved, the time it takes to bind the new info to the list can take a long time. If you want to cut down on the load time, try hiding columns you don't need or care about. The fewer columns, the fewer properties take time binding to the view.

Let me know if that works.

I could build something to export results, but I'm not sure that would be very useful. You would have to convince me... Maybe it would help if I postponed the view update until all the pages are back. That way it only happens once and not 20 times per button click. It would happen quicker, but it would be delayed too.
A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

TorrentRover exists primarily on donations... Please donate!
TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

Pajamas
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Post by Pajamas » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:12 am

HUGE!

So much faster now! What used to take minutes or hang now takes seconds.

THANKS!

Pajamas
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Post by Pajamas » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:38 am

just one more tiny thing. choosing between 1 5 10 and 20 is nice but i would like the choice to do a compete search of all the pages regardless of how long it will take. when a search has 561 pages I have to click the 20 so many times that most of the time I settle for what is found in the first 1-200 pages. one more nice thing which could help to limit the search a bit would be min file size. I use the option to not show torrents with zero seeds but of the 561 pages I only want to see results that are over 10GB for example.

John
Owner
Owner

Post by John » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:50 am

Each page you return is a separate GET operation and a load on the torrent server. I don't know if I want to make it that easy to pull down 500 pages at once. We're already getting results from them for free...
A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

Pajamas
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Post by Pajamas » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:52 pm

would setting a min size or file type lessen the load at all by leaving out unwanted results?

John
Owner
Owner

Post by John » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:59 pm

Most sites don't support a way to filter by file size or file type, so it probably isn't reasonable to add that to TorrentRover. TorrentRover has to try to maintain compatibility with as many sites as possible.

TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

William_Delaughter
New User
New User

Post by William_Delaughter » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:43 am

Its really knowledgeable thread.