Search by uploader

Tell us your ideas to make TorrentRover better.
BTGbullseye
10+ Posts
10+ Posts
Sex:Male
Search by uploader

Post by BTGbullseye » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:38 pm

I was thinking that because many people only download from certain uploaders, that it might be nice to have the ability to search by the uploader, and possibly a sorting column for the uploader.

John
Owner
Owner

Re: Search by uploader

Post by John » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:35 am

We could probably do something along those lines. There are a couple of different ways this could work though.

TorrentRover would allow you to keep a list of your favorite uploaders. TorrentRover would allow you to pick one or more uploader(s) from your list (and add/edit/remove entries if you want) and...
1. Filter the results by removing results by uploaders not on your list.
2. Give more points to results by uploaders on your list.

Option 2 seems slightly better to me, only so you'll at least get more results to choose from. If you're using any automation features, this should be enough to ensure you get a result uploaded by someone on your list. And if not, you should probably raise the point limit so you don't get false positives automatically downloading.

One thing I should note here... We don't always know the actual username of the account that uploaded the torrent, and even if we did, this can vary from site to site. It's more likely that we will be forced to just check the torrent title itself for some identifier for the uploader.

For instance, if you wanted tv shows released by eztv to be preferred over ettv because the file names are Plex/XBMC friendly, you could set eztv in your preferred uploaders list, but the result would have to contain "eztv" in its title in order for TorrentRover to know what to do with it. Normally this works fine because result title include this information. Here's an example...
uploader filter.png
uploader filter.png (78.3KiB)Viewed 22305 times
A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

TorrentRover exists primarily on donations... Please donate!
TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

John
Owner
Owner

Post by John » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:28 am

This is now on my "active work" list. Some for of this feature will be in version 0.23.2.... unless I find a problem in 0.23.1 and have to release a patch update, but that's not likely. You should have it in a few weeks!
A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

BTGbullseye
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Post by BTGbullseye » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:24 pm

Awesome thanks. :D

Yeah, I've been searching by adding in the uploader name, but some of the torrent names don't include the uploader's name... Fortunately EZTV does.
One thing I should note here... We don't always know the actual username of the account that uploaded the torrent, and even if we did, this can vary from site to site. It's more likely that we will be forced to just check the torrent title itself for some identifier for the uploader.
Is it possible to include the uploader name from sites that you can find account usernames? It could be a major help for people that use those sites exclusively. (keeps out a lot of fake torrent uploads when it's from a specific uploader)
Option 2 seems slightly better to me, only so you'll at least get more results to choose from. If you're using any automation features, this should be enough to ensure you get a result uploaded by someone on your list. And if not, you should probably raise the point limit so you don't get false positives automatically downloading.
I don't like using any form of automation when it comes to torrents... Seen too many computers infected when someone downloaded from their RSS feed something that claimed to be an EZTV video, but wasn't uploaded by EZTV. I do however agree that option 2 is nicer, possibly with preference to newer uploads as well.

AndressoureMM
New User
New User

Search by uploader

Post by AndressoureMM » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:17 pm

Hi,

It would be nice to have a search field in the API documentation. Where is this cvFindFundamentalMat method wrapped into, for instance ?

Bart

John
Owner
Owner

Post by John » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:56 am

I don't know what API you're referring to. And I don't know what "cvFindFundamentalMat" is. If I google "cvFindFundamentalMat", I see that there is a piece of software called OpenCV that appears to be some kind of digital camera software. This has nothing to do with TorrentRover. And there is currently no defined API used or exposed by TorrentRover.

TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube