1.3.4 Install

Get help with TorrentRover problems or crashes.
Ronatola
New User
New User
Sex:Male
1.3.4 Install

Post by Ronatola » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:01 am

Windows 10 Defender stopped it initially. I manually allowed it to run.
Then got a missing dll error message and the install aborted.
Ran the install again and nothing happens.
Ran it again as ADMIN and it hung up my windows explorer.

redzeal
New User
New User

Re: 1.3.4 Install

Post by redzeal » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:14 am

I have the same problem on Win 10 version 1903 (Os Build 18362.207) , I uninstalled the old ones 1.3.3, try clean install the same problem, even after stop anti virus.
Please help, Thank you.

update:
Uninstalled Kaspersky added exclusion on windows 10 virus & threat protection settings, using Net 3.5, move the install file to C: , still have same problem.
Search file advpack.dll not missing
using similar Android search app now (not torrentrover)
Attachments
Trover 134 w10 problem.JPG
Trover 134 w10 problem.JPG (18.78KiB)Viewed 22433 times

John
Owner
Owner

Post by John » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:41 pm

This seems to be due to how the installer works and the fact that the latest version isn't signed with any code signing certificate. It used to be, but I can't find a cheap one anymore.

Anyways, the installer has 2 parts, setup.exe and TorrentRoverSetup.msi, and these 2 files are packed together using something called IExpress, which comes with Windows. The issue has something to do with extracting the 2 packed files into the temp directory. For some reason, Windows doesn't like it.

There is a workaround though. The setup.exe file really only checks system requirements. You need to have .NET 3.5 SP1 installed (enabled on Windows 10). The installer is really the TorrentRoverSetup.msi file. You can download them separately here. Download both to the same directory, and run setup.exe first. When setup.exe finishes, it should launch TorrentRoverSetup.msi automatically, but if it doesn't, you can then run TorrentRoverSetup.msi.

setup.exe
TorrentRoverSetup.msi
A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

TorrentRover exists primarily on donations... Please donate!
TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

redzeal
New User
New User

Post by redzeal » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:27 am

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply, I follow your steps, enable NET 3.5 from control panel > programs and features > turn windows features on or off > choose Net framework 3.5 (that I did before, just check still on or not)
Install through your setup.exe, but somehow some of 1.3.3 files not uninstalled properly, so I use Revo uninstall free, to delete the registries, try to install again, great success.

Thank you for making this program and maintain the servers, this program helps, hopefully could become supporter again soon.

[my case closed]