download failed

Report bugs here. If you're not sure of the cause, use the troubleshooting forum instead.
John
Owner
Owner
Sex:Male
Re: download failed

Post by John » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:03 am

I know how to fix the "Torrent client" window, as long as you use uTorrent. The problem is that Windows has a broken registry entry for the default handler for .torrent files or magnet links.

If you're using uTorrent, open uTorrent, open Options -> Preferences -> General (tab). Click the "Associate with torrent files" button. That will fix the association in Windows, and you won't get the "Torrent client" message in TorrentRover anymore.

Now that the "Torrent client" message is fixed, your downloads will open automatically again. FYI, all the downloads you did when you were getting the message are downloaded to your computer. They just didn't open in the torrent client because Windows didn't have a default client set. If you want to open the downloads you've already done, open Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced (tab). The location of your torrent downloads is the "Torrent Download Directory" shown there.

I found and fixed the "Get Prepared" popup issue. It'll be fixed in the next release. Thank you!
A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

TorrentRover exists primarily on donations... Please donate!
TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

torrrover
New User
New User

Post by torrrover » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:56 am

Na still ain’t working, and definitely didn't do the downloads previously either as I checked and did a full system search in case they were randomly dumped elsewhere. Associating utorrent did get rid of the pop-up windows so that means that it weren't them windows that were stopping the downloads coming in. Very odd.

So to summarise I do a download it seems to work but never arrives on the system but counter goes down one. Now if this helps it's been doing this for ages with bitsnoop downloads, probably since about version 1.1, but as kickass was working ok so I ignored it. It has only just started doing it with kickass, ie last few days.. Probably since Saturday. Hope this helps you track down what gives. Thanks John.

John
Owner
Owner

Post by John » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:49 am

I did have to fix a few search engine definitions in the last few days. Make sure you go to Help -> Check for Definition Updates. And then refresh the searches you're having trouble with (or test downloads on a new search). Use the green circular arrow button on the middle toolbar to refresh.

One more thing, if you had an active Reward before an hour ago, your downloads may have been blocked. I just fixed a server bug to fix that.

Also, if you're not using the latest version of TorrentRover, v1.1.4 as of the time of this post, you might want to update. I believe some issues similar to this have been addressed in recent versions.

I also fixed the download count for failed downloads. If the download fails, it should "undo" the download and preserve your download count.

Let me know if you're able to download on a new search after updating your definitions.
A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

torrrover
New User
New User

Post by torrrover » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi John, Ok still no go after trying all you suggested and that's with the latest 1.1.5, also weirdly enough after each download attempt i get a series of instal utorrent windows coming up as if it weren't installed on my system - but it is. Does torrent rover now bundle utorrent as well and is that why as i am using a slightly older version by preference. Maybe if you implement a way of TR not integrating with utorrent by default it might fix things - dunno. Also yeah it makes sense that you would update the definitions, did you also alighn any of the downloading code for kickass to behave in the same way as isohunt - the clue may be there if you did mate - dunno..

So to summarise, it does a fresh search, seems to download, confirms download is complete, then throws up a window asking to install utorrent. I check to see where the download is system wide and in the default directory but nada.

PS not many developers are as diligent in replying to bug reports as you mate, well done!

John
Owner
Owner

Post by John » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:20 am

TorrentRover is not bundled or tied to any torrent client in any way, but you do have to have a torrent client in order for TorrentRover to open a torrent into the torrent client. Without a torrent client, TorrentRover will download the torrent, but it won't "auto open".

Having said that, I've seen a few people who get this error message after they've already installed a torrent client. So far, it's always been a case of Windows Updates causing the .torrent file extension to become unmapped. So Windows doesn't know how to open the torrent file even though you have one installed.

It's really easy to fix. Just open uTorrent, go to Options -> Preferences -> General (section), and click the button "Associate with torrent files". Now Windows knows that utorrent is the associated .torrent program, and TorrentRover will open the torrent files into uTorrent again.

As far as your problem with connecting to the torrent sites, I can't know exactly what's wrong, but I'm willing to look at it for you if that would be alright with you. We have a Remote Assistance page on our website. We could setup a time for me to fix the problem for you remotely, and you can watch the whole time so you know there's no funny business. I can even talk to you on the phone and tell you what I'm doing. Up to you. I understand if you don't want to, but it's an option!

TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

torrrover
New User
New User

Post by torrrover » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:51 pm

Ok first up utorrent is associated on my system but torrent rover for some reason still nags me to install it which is weird.

Anyway just thinking out load here, how would I go about disabling the TorrentRover "auto open" feature which is causing me a lot of grief and which I don't need. I've got a feeling that disabling this feature will sort out all the issues I'm experiencing.

Of course if it don't I'm very happy to do a Remote Assistance and trust you completely mate!!

John
Owner
Owner

Post by John » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:24 pm

Auto Open is an option you can set in Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced (tab) -> Torrent Auto Open (section).

This will just prevent TorrentRover from trying to open the torrent file in the torrent client

It just dawned on me that there may be a hole in the code here. When I wrote the feature it was to open torrent files or not, but now that TorrentRover supports magnet links... there's no way this option should be off for magnet links. They are not "saved" anywhere, so there would be no way to open them unless TorrentRover opens them for you.

If you turn this option off, ThePirateBay, KickassTorrents, and 1337x won't work. They all rely on magnet links to work.

Why do you suspect that this option will make your problems go away? I thought the problem was that you weren't able to connect to the sites at all. If you cannot connect to the sites, you cannot download from them, and neither can TorrentRover.

Did you already try to get to the various sites in a web browser? Did you succeed?

TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

John
Owner
Owner

Post by John » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:26 pm

Nevermind, I just checked the code. There was already a check in there for magnet links. If the "torrent" is a magnet link, it'll open it, even if the Auto Open Torrent option is turned off.

TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

torrrover
New User
New User

Post by torrrover » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:28 pm

Yep, sussed the same thing myself last night when i finally managed to get utorrent to fire up only if a magnet link was being opened. I didn't realise that TR wasn't downloading .torrent files any more and that's what threw me.

So in summary, TR downloads a magnet link, fires up utorrent which then grabs it. For reference, utorrent stores a local copy of the .torrent file generated from the magnet link in uTorrent data directory.

So looks like it's all good again John, thanks for all your time and feedback in getting this sorted mate.