Clicking preferences closes program

Report bugs here. If you're not sure of the cause, use the troubleshooting forum instead.
BTGbullseye
10+ Posts
10+ Posts
Sex:Male
Clicking preferences closes program

Post by BTGbullseye » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:33 am

TorrentRover v0.22.11 beta
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

TorrentRover shuts down instead of opening the preferences menu. This is not just me, check the BetaNews info page about TorrentRover for additional confirmation.

It provides no dialog.

John
Owner
Owner

Re: Clicking preferences closes program

Post by John » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:49 am

I'm sorry about that. I missed have overlooked something fairly major for that to be happening.

Can you confirm 2 things for me?

1. How does it shutdown? Does it shut down gracefully? Do you see a "Shutting Down" window or does it just crash and burn?
2. Does this occur immediately after opening Preferences, or when you switch to a certain tab?
3. Can you confirm that the file "Xceed.Wpf.Toolkit.dll" is in the TorrentRover install directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\TorrentRover)?

Thank you for reporting this bug! We definitely need to get this fixed...
A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

TorrentRover exists primarily on donations... Please donate!
TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

BTGbullseye
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Post by BTGbullseye » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:27 pm

1. Yes, graceful shut down, with that shut down window.
2. Immediately. It's like clicking the preferences button is the same as clicking the exit button.
3. Was running in portable mode, not installed. I'll try again installed.

[EDIT] Installed version works just fine, the portable still closes instead of opening preferences though.

John
Owner
Owner

Post by John » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:58 am

Portable or not, there should be a file in the same directory as the TorrentRover.exe file called Xceed.Wpf.Toolkit.dll. If it's not in there, it can't render the controls in the Preferences window. What antivirus app(s) do you run?

I'll verify the portable version has the file when unzipped.

I'm wondering if some antivirus apps will [falsely] identify the Xceed.Wpf.Toolkit.dll as a virus and delete it. Then the preferences window throws an exception and TR shuts down. That's my working theory anyways.

Can you confirm if Xceed.Wpf.Toolkit.dll is present in the directory with TorrentRover.exe or not?
A good programmer is someone who always looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

BTGbullseye
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Post by BTGbullseye » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:21 pm

DLL is in the folder, but is a different name I think. (WPFToolkit.dll) I run Avast, and it shows no detections at all.

Newest version works perfectly.

John
Owner
Owner

Post by John » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:19 am

WPFToolkit is actually a different dll than Xceed.Wpf.Toolkit. Both are needed.

Anyways, starting in version 0.23.0, we're embedding those dlls inside the application itself. Now there should be no way to get this error.

Thank you for reporting this issue! We appreciate your help so we can fix TorrentRover and make it better!

TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

BTGbullseye
10+ Posts
10+ Posts

Post by BTGbullseye » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:26 pm

Good to know, because that DLL was nowhere on my system... Even the installed version didn't put it on my system.

John
Owner
Owner

Post by John » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:05 am

Firstly, I'm very sorry this is happening to you.

I must admit I don't know what causes this error. At one point this affected everyone and it was because of a missing library needed to render a control in Preferences. Now it doesn't affect many people at all. And the library that was missing before is now inside TorrentRover, so it isn't missing any longer.

Did you download TorrentRover from TorrentRover.com?
What version of TorrentRover are you running?
Does TorrentRover only crash when you open Preferences? Or does it crash as soon as the app comes up? Or does the app not even come up?
If it crashes ONLY when you open Preferences, please open your %programfiles(x86)%\TorrentRover folder. Are there dll files in there?

If TorrentRover does come up, press F12, and tell me the number at the bottom of the Debug window.

Thank you for taking the time to report the issue. I will do my best to get it fixed for you.

TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube

John
Owner
Owner

Post by John » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:38 pm

That's good news!

Maybe I'll add some code to automatically delete the Preferences file if a crash is imminent for future versions.

Thank you for the post!

P.S. Wings3D??

TorrentRover on Facebook
TorrentRover on Twitter
TorrentRover on YouTube